Sunday, January 31, 2010

Elbe OHV Work Party

Yesterday, our 4-wheel drive club, the Timber Tamers, hosted a big trail work party to fix the top of our apoted trail at Elbe OHV.  When we got there, we noticed that we had a lot of work to do.  The top of our trail had become a huge mud hole and a few new by-passes had been created.  We had to put rock on the top of the trail to prevent more erosion and sedimentation from running down the trail and into any streams.  We also had to try and block some of the by-passes.  Luckily, we had a decent show of people with 3 small tractors, 2 trucks and 60 yards of rock to work with.

Terry spent most of the day driving Gary's flatbed Dodge loaded with rock to the trail repair site.  I was outside and helped unload truckload after truckload of rock.  I think I must of sometime during the day got hit in the ankle by one as it is a little red and swollen today.   We were on the trail all day and didn't pack up to come home until dark.  I felt like I had worked my ass off during the day until Mark said he still saw it, so I guess that wasn't the case.  I do know that we all worked hard and amazingly got a lot of rock moved an the trail looked a lot better when we were leaving then it did when we first got there.  Even though it was hard work, it was another great day with good friends.
The morning meeting

Mike leveling the mud at the beginning of the day

Dropping some rock

Getting Mike unstuck

Blocking a by-pass

Winching out Gary's truck

Bringing down more loads of rock
(we did a lot of unloading by hand, but towards the end of the day, the tractors started bringing some down too)

Me at the end of the day (I was filthy)

One of the final loads of 2-minus

0 comments: